This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTNXi Popout Issue and Coupling to FS Plan-------/
Hello everyone,

I suspect this has been addressed but I'm at my wits end trying to sort through the forums and support documentation. I have two issues which could technically be two separate threads. In any case:

Question 1:
I'm running MSFS 2020 and the Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation. I would like to have the GNSXi run in a standalone window as I have touch screen monitors for my main panel.  So essentially, it will simply reside on a touchscreen monitor and I can interact with it nearly identically to the actual unit.  However, when I load the M20, the GTN goes into "Gauge Mode".  I have tried to pop it out with the R ALT plus LMB technique but it either clicks through the unit and a Garmin 530 window pops up -OR- it appears to open a window but the window remains blank.

When I use the GNS in MSFS default aircraft, I can run the configuration program and create windowed versions of either the 750 or the 650.  How do I get this thing to act as a standalone windowed navigator with the Mooney? In other words, I don't want it to run in gauge mode.

Question 2:  When operating the GTN with other aircraft as a popout window, it works fine however, when I select NAV mode to GPS and couple it to the autopilot, the autopilot shows engaged, altitude will capture, etc, but when selecting NAV, the autopilot connects to whatever was in the flight plan on the sim nav system, not what I programmed in the GNS.   If I link the GNS to the heading bug in the configuration app, this sort of solves it but the hedading algorithm is too slow to respond and doesnt' work like a true GPS nav system. I need to get the autopilot to link to the GPS flight plan and not the FS nav system.  Does anyone here have any advice regarding this issue?

Any help or direction to other threads is appreciated.

Dave
I go into the panel config for the aircraft and put xx berfore the TDS GTN line... Save and restart...
Hello,

In regards to your questions, pop-ups are handled by the specific aircraft and not by us, this bug should be reported to Carenado. You can try using the RIGHT ALT + Click in a different portion of the LCD screen until you hit it. An alternative would be to disable all panel.cfg file gauge entries for the other GPS units, thus only having the GTNXi.

For the second question, do you have the autopilot setting inside the TDS GTNXi Flight Sim EXE/Settings tab connected to Nav mode and not Heading?
(03-13-2023, 09:39 AM)adminOwner2 Wrote: Hello,

In regards to your questions, pop-ups are handled by the specific aircraft and not by us, this bug should be reported to Carenado. You can try using the RIGHT ALT + Click in a different portion of the LCD screen until you hit it. An alternative would be to disable all panel.cfg file gauge entries for the other GPS units, thus only having the GTNXi.

For the second question, do you have the autopilot setting inside the TDS GTNXi Flight Sim EXE/Settings tab connected to Nav mode and not Heading?

Yes, it's in NAV mode.

Example using a MSFS default aircraft (XCub):  In the flight planner when setting up a flight, I plan a flight from LAX to SAN.  So the default GPS has LAX to SAN in the flight plan.  Load the flight and then run the Garmin GNS as a stand alone unit with it set it to NAV mode in the settings tab as GPS and NAV 1, NAV mode.  In flight, enter direct to KSNA in the 750... The aircraft still tracks the original flight plan.  In other words, the flight plan I'm programming into the Garmin 750 is not transferring over to the aircraft stock 530, etc and the autopilot is defaulting to follow the 530, not the 750.  In heading mode, it updates the heading to match what I programmed in the 750 (some aircraft do this in the real world, gps steering). But it is slow in moving the heading bug so it overshoots the desired course and results in needing several direct to sequences until it smooths out.

(03-12-2023, 11:24 PM)Wingrider Wrote: I go into the panel config for the aircraft and put xx berfore the TDS GTN line... Save and restart...

I'll give this a try and report back.  Thx.
(03-12-2023, 11:24 PM)Wingrider Wrote: I go into the panel config for the aircraft and put xx berfore the TDS GTN line... Save and restart...

This fixed the popout issue.  Thank you for the help.

Dave

I'm still fighting the flight plan coupling issue. A little more detail for the developers:

Essentially the GPS isn't really useful other than as a moving map. It isn't linking to the flight plan or autopilot in any way whatsoever.

The configuration app says it is connected to flight simulator. I've tried connecting GPS to Nav and Heading. Flight plans don't update to the aircraft, etc. So as I stated earlier, the 750 is not dynamically pushing the flight plan to the aircraft. Whatever plan was in the aircraft at startup remains. So there is no way to couple the autopilot or fly RNAV approaches as it is right now. Documentation and the website states that it does but regardless of the aircraft I load, this is not the case.

I've tried disconnecting flight controls and other usb devices, but this has no effect. Am I missing something here? I haven't tried a reinstall, so perhaps something is fouled up with the install but beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Any other help is appreciated.
Hello,

We are here to help you with the issue, with which aircraft have you tried the autopilot with the TDS GTNXi? Did you try using any one of the VC integrated options that we have listed on our sales website?

It is a bit difficult understanding your previous message as you make reference to a GNS, which is not our product. Our product is the TDS GTNXi.
Yes, the autopilot will work with the TDS GTN 750Xi both laterally and vertically, bu selecting NAV mode form the interface (not heading) as well as engaging the autopilot in NAV mode.

There is no need to perform a complete reinstall at this point.

We would strongly suggest attempting a test flight with one of the officially supported VC integrated aircraft and then to please come back to us.
(03-15-2023, 08:49 AM)adminOwner2 Wrote: Hello,

We are here to help you with the issue, with which aircraft have you tried the autopilot with the TDS GTNXi? Did you try using any one of the VC integrated options that we have listed on our sales website?

It is a bit difficult understanding your previous message as you make reference to a GNS, which is not our product. Our product is the TDS GTNXi.
Yes, the autopilot will work with the TDS GTN 750Xi both laterally and vertically, bu selecting NAV mode form the interface (not heading) as well as engaging the autopilot in NAV mode.

There is no need to perform a complete reinstall at this point.

We would strongly suggest attempting a test flight with one of the officially supported VC integrated aircraft and then to please come back to us.

Hello,

Yes, I am taling about the TDS GTNXi.  My use metion of GNS was a typo as I use those in the real world on a regular basis.

Anyway, after uninstall of the software and also uninstalling the Mooney M20 via the content manager then reinstalling, the GTNXi is working in VC mode.  It couples to the autopilot and so on.  All good there.  However, if I use the technique above that wingrider mentioned, the guage no longer runs in "guage mode" but it also breaks the link to the autopilot.

This is what I need to accomplish:  I do not want to use this in VC mode.  VC mode is great but pointing at a 3D version of the panel and the avionics with a mouse and clicking is not the same as acutally using a touch screen monitor and manipulating the GTN as you would in the real world.  Is there any way to currently run the GTN in "2D" mode on a separate monitor? VC mode does me no good as I don't use MSFS in that capacity.

According to a thread on this forum a year ago, this was possible by deleting the TDS GTNXi folder out of the community folder (see photo below my name).  However, I tried this technique as well and while the GTN is no longer in "guage mode", once again, the link to the autopilot on the Carenado Mooney M20 supported aircraft is broken.

The popout feature (R ALT plus LMB) still yields a blank screen, not a 2D windowed version of the GTN.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying.

At the moment we are investigating working on autopilot/variable control with the tds-gtnxi-gauge removed, so since it is under investigation and most likely will require a fix, this will be on standby.

We could help you out with the MSFS pop-out feature to render a GTNXi bezel, as you currently have a black screen. If you are interested, please let us know.